Tuesday, January 1, 2013

When Funny Met Lovely ...


Meg Ryan, born as Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra on November 19, 1961, is an American actress and producer. After minor roles in film and television, she became a movie star in 1989 when she appeared in When Harry Met Sally.... Over the next 15 years she played leading roles in several romantic comedy films, including Sleepless in Seattle (1993), French Kiss (1995), Addicted to Love (1997), City of Angels (1998), You've Got Mail (1998), and Kate & Leopold (2001), grossing a total of over $870 million worldwide. Somehow she ruined her life and career with a damaged face when that signature sweetheart look no longer exists.

I watched all of them (including early Joe versus Volcano and I.Q.). My favorites are: When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle (1 of 3 movies Tom Hank worked with Meg Ryan - although he still "not quite understood some part of her"). Meg Ryan's looks in both movies are fresh and beautiful with little girl innocence shown from lovely lip and chin shape. Her voice is also adorable. You can't find such lovely figure in movie history anymore.

Both movies were written by Nora Ephron. Nora Ephron's fantastic scriptwriting definitely made us fall in love with falling in love. Nora's number one film has to be, without a shadow of a doubt, 'When Harry Met Sally'. The film charts a twelve year friendship between a man and a woman, exploring the theory that men and women can never be "just friends" - sex always gets in the way.

Movie: When Harry Met Sally ...

When Harry Met Sally… is a 1989 American romantic comedy film written by Nora Ephron and directed by Rob Reiner. It stars Billy Crystal as Harry and Meg Ryan as Sally. The story follows the title characters from the time they meet just before sharing a cross-country drive, through twelve years or so of chance encounters in New York City. The film raises the question "Can men and women ever just be friends?" and advances many ideas about relationships that became household concepts, such as those of the "high-maintenance" girlfriend and the "transitional person". Additionally, in the years following its release, the evolution of a platonic male/female relationship into a romantic one has become popularly known as a "When Harry Met Sally situation."

The origins of the film came from Reiner's return to single life after a divorce. An interview Ephron conducted with Reiner provided the basis for Harry. Sally was based on Ephron and some of her friends. Crystal came on board and made his own contributions to the screenplay, making Harry funnier. Ephron supplied the structure of the film with much of the dialogue based on the real-life friendship between Reiner and Crystal.

Bill Crystal's serious face contrasted Meg Ryan's lovely face making it very funny. You want to be that cute girl having that kind of fun companion to be comforted and spoiled :-))))))). 





==== Memorable Dialogues ====

    Harry: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
    Sally: Why not?
    Harry: What I'm saying is — and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form — is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
    Sally: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
    Harry: No you don't.
    Sally: Yes I do.
    Harry: No you don't.
    Sally: Yes I do.
    Harry: You only think you do.
    Sally: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to have sex with you.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: How do you know?
    Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally: So you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
    Harry: No, you pretty much want to nail 'em too.
    Sally: What if they don't want to have sex with you?
    Harry: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
    Sally: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
    Harry: Guess not.
    Sally: That's too bad. You were the only person that I knew in New York.

====

    Harry: You know you just get to a certain point where you get tired of the whole thing.
    Sally: What "whole thing"?
    Harry: The whole life-of-a-single-guy thing. You meet someone, you have the safe lunch, you decide you like each other enough to move on to dinner. You go dancing, you do the white-man's over-bite, go back to her place, you have sex and the minute you're finished you know what goes through your mind? How long do I have to lie here and hold her before I can get up and go home. Is thirty seconds enough?
    Sally: That's what you're thinking? Is that true?
    Harry: Sure! All men think that. How long do you want to be held afterwards? All night, right? See there's your problem, somewhere between thirty seconds and all night is your problem.
    Sally: I don't have a problem!
    Harry: Yeah you do.

====

    Harry: Would you like to have dinner? ...Just friends.
    Sally: I thought you didn't believe men and women could be friends.
    Harry: When did I say that?
    Sally: On the ride to New York.
    Harry: No, no, no, no, I never said that... Yes, that's right, they can't be friends. Unless both of them are involved with other people, then they can... This is an amendment to the earlier rule. If the two people are in relationships, the pressure of possible involvement is lifted... That doesn't work either, because what happens then is, the person you're involved with can't understand why you need to be friends with the person you're just friends with. Like it means something is missing from the relationship and why do you have to go outside to get it? And when you say "No, no, no, no, it's not true, nothing is missing from the relationship," the person you're involved with then accuses you of being secretly attracted to the person you're just friends with, which you probably are. I mean, come on, who the hell are we kidding, let's face it. Which brings us back to the earlier rule before the amendment, which is men and women can't be friends.

====

    Jess: I don't understand this relationship.
    Harry: What do you mean?
    Jess: You enjoy being with her?
    Harry: Yeah.
    Jess: You find her attractive?
    Harry: Yeah.
    Jess: And you're not sleeping with her.
    Harry: No.
    Jess: You're afraid to let yourself be happy.
    Harry: Why can't you give me credit for this? This is a big thing for me. I never had a relationship with a woman that didn't involve sex. I feel like I'm growing.

====

    Harry: It's very freeing. I can say anything to her.
    Jess: Are you saying you can say things to her you can't say to me?
    Harry: Nah, it's just different. It's a whole new perspective. I get the woman's point of view on things. She tells me about the men she goes out with and I can talk to her about the women that I see.
    Jess: You tell her about other women.
    Harry: Yeah. Like the other night. I made love to this woman, and it was so incredible, I took her to a place that wasn't human, she actually meowed.
    Jess: You made a woman meow?
    Harry: Yeah. That's the point, I can say these things to her. And the great thing is, I don't have to lie because I'm not always thinking about how to get her into bed. I can just be myself.
    Jess: You made a woman meow?

====

    Harry: I've been doing a lot of thinking, and the thing is, I love you.
    Sally: What?
    Harry: I love you.
    Sally: How do you expect me to respond to this?
    Harry: How about, you love me too?
    Sally: How about, I'm leaving?
    Harry: Doesn't what I said mean anything to you?
    Sally: I'm sorry, Harry. I know it's New Year's Eve. I know you're feeling lonely, but you just can't show up here, tell me you love me, and expect that to make everything all right. It doesn't work this way.
    Harry: Well, how does it work?
    Sally: I don't know, but not this way.
    Harry: How about this way? I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
    Sally: You see? That is just like you, Harry. You say things like that, and you make it impossible for me to hate you, and I hate you, Harry. I really hate you. I hate you.
    [They kiss]

=====

    Harry: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
    Sally: Which one am I?
    Harry: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.
    Sally: I don't see that.
    Harry: You don't see that? Waiter, I'll begin with a house salad, but I don't want the regular dressing. I'll have the balsamic vinegar and oil, but on the side. And then the salmon with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. "On the side" is a very big thing for you.
    Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
    Harry: I know; high maintenance.

====

No comments:

Post a Comment