Saturday, September 29, 2012

Something Greek

Greek cuisine is a Mediterranean cuisine, sharing characteristics with the cuisines of Italy, the Balkans, Turkey, and the Levant. Contemporary Greek cookery makes wide use of olive oil, vegetables and herbs, grains and bread, wine, fish, and various meats, including poultry, rabbit and pork. Also important are olives, cheese, eggplant (aubergine), zucchini (courgette), and yogurt. Greek desserts are characterized by the dominant use of nuts and honey. Some dishes use filo pastry.

Here are some items (below) I enjoyed (yummy :-)) at 2012 Annual Greek Festival at St Theodore Greek Orthodox Church (our neighbor in greenbelt) last Thursday:




Moussaka - Sliced eggplant and potatoes baked with ground beef and tomato sauce, covered with creamy béchamel sauce and topped with cheese.

Dolmades - Grape leaves stuffed with ground beef, rice and herbs and topped with a creamy lemon-egg sauce

Spanakopita  - Lightly buttered fillo dough stuffed with spinach and feta cheese, baked to a golden brown

Tiropita - Lightly buttered fillo dough stuffed with a blend of Greek cheese, baked to a golden brown finish

I like Spanakopita which is similar to the one that I can make myself (learned from my Turkish roommate long time ago). I also liked the Moussaka. The Greek dessert are pretty sweet. I tried them before. It is very nice to try different food together with good friends.

Greece is always mysterious to me because those Greek mythology books read before. My impression is: Greek people are beautiful (like Jennifer Aniston, Rita Wilson, Yanni). One of our co-workers is also a Greek and she is very beautiful.

Here are some handy phrases ...

Good morning - Kalime'ra
Good evening - Kalispe'ra
Good night - Kalini'chta
Hello/Goodbye - Yia'sou
Goodbye - Anti'o (also Yia'sou)
Cheers - Yia'sou
I would like - The'lo
Please - Parakalo'
Thank you - Efharisto'
How are you - Ti'Ka'nis
See you again - Tha'se tho'ksana
Let's go - Pa'me
Do you speak English - Mila'te Angklika'


No comments:

Post a Comment